Monday, July 16, 2012

On the arts; using crayons in a dirty world.


There are a couple of driving forces to the use of art as expression. Now, I am not an artist, though I appreciate many pieces of art through many different mediums.  I’ve tried to dabble in some charcoals, but am not even certain if I like my own work.  It is not an area I immediately seek in my daily life, but I do know that it is still important.  So where do I believe the source of our expression comes from?  Passion would be the umbrella, but it is the emotion of love or of fear that seems to create the most interesting of pieces.  And I admit – the expressions of fear to me has always been the most impactful. 
Expressing oneself, or finding solace and appreciation in the work of others, is one of the motivation and draw to art pieces.

Art gives us time to pause, to be drawn away to another place.  It gives a chance to bring a new dimension into ourselves to make sense of the other emotions that we deal with.  Song, dance, video, moldings, poetry and paintings are at the same time outlets and expression of meaning. 
They bring us back to that time or place the artist drew from. 
Most importantly, it is a form of communication that taps into the emotions.



Perhaps it will be in this expression through art that we find solutions to the climate change crisis.  Just as it is an extension of the artists soul, so too will it affect the hearts and minds of the audience.  It's a new and innovative way to convey a message.  It draws people in to actively participate in the piece, making it hard to turn away and ignore. 
I guess the next big question will be to find the best way to see the pieces.  Mass media may be the best avenue, utilizing blockbuster films such as 2012 and the hollywoodized perceptions around An Inconvenient Truth.  The internet, YouTube… even George Takei on Facebook is active in sharing provocative art pieces… perhaps more exposure to groups such as GenerationAlpha.  Art pieces that incite conversation, with the idea to spread the discussion. 
Many times groups that promote these ideas are viewed as being too left-wing and radical in nature, and do not bring forth the desired effect.  Getting mainstream media on side to promote these pieces may be the most effective.
Regardless of where the impetus and distribution of art comes from, it seems to be working, in the least as a new medium for artists.  Bill McKibben looked at the absence of art in climate change conversation in 2005.  4 years later in 2009 he happily reported the surge of expression around the subject.  Perhaps art will be the nexus of how we all deal with climate change. 
I walk and ponder on the place of art in my own work.  In many ways, I intend to give my students a crayon box – a set of tools to go out and make sense of the world, to find meaning, and to use to express themselves.  I am excited to see what they come back with. 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Traffic Counters
Creative Commons License